Monday, May 9, 2011

Strong Women In Music Concert Interview Series: The Opening Act, Dr. E

Strong Women In Music Concert at Penn State University | April 27, 2011
Interviews with MC Lyte, Dr. E and musical director Ronnie Burrage.

Led by world renowned drummer Ronnie Burrage, a live band composed of musicians Eli Byrne, Chulo Gatewood, Marvin Horne, and Adam Faulk accompanied the legendary MC Lyte for the Penn State Jazz Club Strong Women In Music concert held April 27th at Alumni Hall.

Penn State Student rappers Ugo, Equille Williams, Jackie Hodge and Drew Dub of the Hip-Hop/ Reggae ensemble Atlas Soundtrack (interview coming soon) also shared the stage with MC Lyte for a crowd pleasing performance of the game changing single “Self Destruction.”

EAR CANDI is pleased to present crew member Ebony Jeanette’s interviews with headliner MC Lyte, opening act Dr. E and musical director Ronnie Burrage.

A special thank you to the Penn State Jazz Club faculty advisor Eli Byrne for making it all possible!
The Opening Act: Interview with Dr. E
Opening the Strong Women In Music concert was soul songstress, songwriter, and former Penn State professor Dr. E.
A rising independent artist, Dr. E has performed at many notable venues such as Walt Disney World, The Cleveland Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, The Lincoln Theatre and more. She has captivated listeners with her unique brand of soul and continues to inspire through her personal story of redemption (See here).

Thanks again Dr. E for a great interview! - Ebony Jeanette

EAR CANDI: What does it mean to be a “Strong Woman In Music” to you?

Dr. E: Be who you are and keep grinding.

EAR CANDI: As the opening act for the Strong Women In Music concert, what do you feel right now is most exciting about your music?

Dr. E: Well, now I have gotten beyond the initial excitement when I first completed my project. Now I am proud of my music because it is a part of who I am and it makes me feel good that a lot of people like it and accept it and me for who I am. I am growing as a woman and a songwriter which is great! It feels so wonderful to open the evening for MC Lyte, she has always been an inspiration to me as an versatile entrepreneur and master of her craft.

EAR CANDI: Tell us about your day job, you were a professor at Penn State a few years back and currently at at Ohio State University right?

Dr. E: I am becoming more and more of who I really am and want to be. I used to think of myself as Elaine the singer-songwriter, Elaine the sister-girl from Cleveland, Dr. E the applied linguist who loves culture and African and Afro-diasporic cultures, Dr. E the community advocate. My selves are really not disparate. I am figuring out that I don't have to separate my music life from my scholarly and outreach life. I am all one person and I take me everywhere I go. It's cool!

EAR CANDI: You are a scholar and a songwriter wow! So what is your music writing process like? Does it just come to you?

Dr. E: I can have an idea and the music comes later, or sometimes I get the music and feeling and lyrics all at once, or I will experience an emotion or event and a song will come to me. I’ve had dreams where I saw myself singing a song I end up writing and other times, someone will just give me pre-recorded tracks and I''l vibe until something comes.

EAR CANDI: Who are you listening to the most right now on your ipod?

Dr. E: I'm listening to Georgia Anne Muldrow, Monica, Ronnie Burrage, MC Lyte, and Mary Mary.

EAR CANDI: What advice do you give to young girls who have made difficult life choices? How can they be Elevated?

Dr. E: We all make mistakes. Don't let your past define your future. You are love made straight from the creator, no matter your circumstances. Get the support you need. Reach out and keep striving for your goals.

EAR CANDI: Where can we buy your music?
Dr. E
Get your copy of "Elevated" at cdbaby.com/dreelevated

No comments:

Post a Comment

Local Tweets

Like Ebony Jeanette on Facebook!